How to care for your Jewelry?  -Instructions/tips of cleaning with baking soda –

Useful Information
starbrightbyPixabay
スポンサーリンク
スポンサーリンク

Jewelry/Accessories add glamor to your daily life. However, if you try to put on silver or gold jewelry for the first time in a long time, you may have experienced such a thing that it turned black. There is various information such as wiping with a cloth and checking on the net that baking soda water, carbonated water, alcohol is good, etc., but which method is the best? This time, I would like to take a look at tips about how to care for jewelry.

スポンサーリンク

What is the cause of darkening?

The cause of darkening varies depending on the type of Jewelry, but in the case of silver, it is caused by the sebum of the human body and the trace amount of hydrogen sulfide contained in the air. Hydrogen sulfide that has reacted with the silver component forms a dark, thin film that covers the surface (sulfurization reaction). It is not corroded, so if you remove it properly, it will regain its original brilliance.

In the case of gold, the degree of discoloration varies depending on its purity. For example, in K18, which is 75% pure gold, another metal (silver, copper, etc.) contained in the remaining 25% undergoes a sulfurization reaction. Gold is more delicate than silver and must be treated with care.

Although it is a silver-gold plating that can be obtained at a low price, the darkening may not be removed even if it is cleaned. That is because the plating has peeled off. Unfortunately, it cannot be covered by maintenance. You will need to buy a new one or have a remodelling company specializing in jewelry plate it.

It is difficult to distinguish between silver and silver plating, and the method of care is different. Silver jewelry are usually engraved with inscriptions such as “sterling silver” and “silver 925”. In the case of silver, when you go to a sulfur hot spring, it darkens due to sulfurization.

Instructions of how to get rid of darkening of jewelry

How to care with baking soda

Spread aluminum foil on the container, add 1 teaspoon of baking soda, and add hot water. Let’s put black jewelry there. The higher the temperature of the hot water, the more effective it is. It depends on the degree of darkening, but you can see that it is clean after soaking for about 10 minutes.

Care method using carbonated water

It’s an easy way to soak your jewelry in carbonated water (sparkling water). Fine bubbles of carbon dioxide delicately remove dirt. This is an easy way to clean while the darkening and dirt are light.

How to care with vinegar and salt

Put a good mixture of vinegar and salt in a suitable container at the same level (1: 1), and soak the rusty jewelry in it. After removing the rust, remove the vinegar component with a neutral detergent and wipe off the water with a soft cloth.

[Tips] There is a method of rubbing blackheads with toothpaste, but it is not recommended for gold and plating. There is also a method of soaking a cloth with alcohol to remove darkening, but it is not recommended to use it for plating accessories because the plating may peel off.

Summary

  • The general method for cleaning jewelry such as silver and gold is to use baking soda water or carbonated water.
  • Tips: If you want to remove rust as well as darkening, salt water with vinegar.

Darkening of silver and gold jewelry is unavoidable, but it’s a good idea to be careful about how you store them, as well as how to care for them. Tips is to avoid contact with air as much as possible, wipe off dirt on the surface after use, and to prevent accessories from coming into contact with each other. If you wear it frequently, you can prevent it from deteriorating by simply wrapping it in a soft cloth and making a partition. Please wear accessories and spend a wonderful day.

スポンサーリンク

コメント

タイトルとURLをコピーしました